Monday, 14 May 2007

Let's hear more about the yurt

#87 - Complete A-Z reading challenge - titles

"Dark side of the sun" Terry Pratchett
About a little green man who travels through space looking for the ultimate secret of his universe.

What did I think? Initially I was disappointed - it's billed as a Discworld book but is quite quite different to that series. Plus I'm not too keen on 'scientific language' and words that I can't even pronounce in my head. However, okay overall. A fun way to spend a couple hours. (I think I have read this before but somehow managed to block it out of my mind. I think I thought it was by Douglas Adams which is ridiculous. They're nothing alike. Well, not much alike.)


#86 Complete A-Z reading challenge - authors.

Collins, Max Allan "Before the dawn"

(Continuing with 'Dark Angel' (c.f. #93) I thought I'd read the novelised prequel to the story.) It follows Max as she tracks one of her brothers to Seattle and makes a life for herself.

What did I think? Just. Stay. Away. There aren't enough words to say how awful this is. Cheesy, cliched, badly simile-d, dodgy scenarios, uncomfortable characterisation. He's written a lot of other novels, mostly based on other TV shows, and is apparently also responsible for "Road to Perdition" the graphic novel. Even so. Stay far, far away.

No comments: