Thursday, 10 May 2007

Just another boring blog entry title

I'm making a bit of progress on #24 Find a food balance between the 'good' and the 'bad' foods. It's a pretty flexible thing - as long as I feel pleased about my food choices at the end of the day I'm winning. The last couple of days have gone quite well with most food being low GI and heavy on the veges and fruit and only a few high sugar/fat things. Like wine and pizza. Oh, and the toffee pop I had this afternoon.

I've been investigating 83. Do anti-cranky diet. It's from here. After checking the cupboards I figure I have to buy in 95% of the food. (Who has Flaxseeds in their cupboard? And Brussell sprouts? Bleuchh.) I'm not even sure where to get some of the stuff. A friend has recommended the local organic store...I've been in once but foudn it intimidating. I like to get in and out and not have to interact with people too much. Plus I tend to spend quite easily so I might go in planning to spend no more than $20 and come out with $70 worth of stuff! (Speaking of food budgets, check this out Hungry for a Month I haven't been able to bring myself to read it all yet...I already feel guilty about the amout of $$ I spend on the sheer quantity of food I eat.) I will have to brace myself. And maybe take a friend.

#25 Live eco-smart - recycling etc. I'm halfway there with this one. I put things to be recycled into the bucket in the kitchen. Then my boyfriend empties the bucket into the regular rubbish bin. *sigh* Mental note - complete the cycle...

#86 Complete A-Z reading challenge - authors. I've finished 'A'. No, it wasn't Miss Jane.

Abercrombie, Joe "The Blade itself".
A fantasy (in swords and magic vein) about a diverse group of characters who all face trials and tribulations including life-threatening situations that almost get the better of them. Mostly male characters but a couple of women are tracked as well. A band of them are drawn together (mystically woo-wooooo) and by the end of the book are preparing to set off on their mission...

What did I think? Really enjoyed it and can't wait to get my hands on the second one. Quite violent and bloody in places (sometimes I worry about fiction writers). Surprisingly easy to follow considering that each chapter follows a different character who have different personalities. I'm waiting for the comeuppance for a couple and the redemption of a couple of others. One thing I particularly enjoyed was the writing style - clipped, thoughtful, confidential, descriptive. It's hard to go past a book that has the stellar line "Like! A! Fucking! Chicken!" (pg 300 in my copy.)

No comments: