Thursday, 23 August 2007

Apart from iTunes. Obviously.

#86 A-Z reading challenge - authors & #87 A-Z reading challenge - titles*
Stevenson, Robert L. "Torchlight"
Think of yer classic early 90's action film with square jawed hero and feisty heroine. Now give him a friend who turns out to be the actual hero and give her a psychotic, dangerous adpotive father. Oh, and throw in some deep sea diving facts.
What did I think?
I think you can tell by the plot...and no linky love because the other famous writer (yes, they're related) comes up when I Google him.

Thomas, Dylan "Under Milkwood"
A radio play which is "...an orchestration of voices, sights and sounds that conjure up the dreams and waking hours of an imagined Welsh seaside village within the cycle of one day."
What did I think?
Fantastic. I'd love to hear it as an audio track. (I'm partial to things that roll and tumble and lollop and twist like fighting kittens. Dance, music, writing - it doesn't matter what it is I'm partial to it. Think of then like the equivilent of kowhaiwhai or celtic knots.)


*I thought I'd be clever and start combining the author/title reading list. It's working but unfortunately I'm reading faster than I can get the damn books. Off the list "Shamanka" by Jeanne Willis and "Living Hell" Catherine Jinks - 2 excellent teen aimed books.



#43 See a performance that doesn't include anyone I know
King Lear at the ASB theatre in the Aotea Centre. A mixed bag this. The sound was shit. LoM couldn't even understand what they were saying - I thought it was just me and that I didn't have my shakespeare ears on. Wasn't helped by the coughing (have a fuckin lozenge people) or the deep breathing of the bloke behind us OR the man in front with the squealing hearing aid (although I forgive him. Like I said the sound was shit.) In some places the actors were 'doing' shakepseare - intoning, swooping up and down the register, screeching etc. (Might be personal preference though. That's just not my style.) It was made worse by the flashes of brilliance thoughout the production. Some really nice interpretations of individual lines. If they slowed down they were great too. I guess it's easy to race through the words when you've been doing it for a while. Highlights - blue painted jazz man (I think it was Edgar); the rain/on the beach scene; the arrest scene. Ian McKellan turned in a performance fine at times.

Update 26/8/07: the nasty brother was pretty good too. He always seemed to be on his knees, bouncing up and down, preparing to sprint over and slash someone's throat. Great stuff.

No comments: