Monday, 9 July 2007

Breathing, itchy skin

#87 A-Z reading challenge - titles

"
The Know-it-all: one man's humble quest to become the smartest person in the world" by A.J. Jacobs
About a man who decides to become smarter by reading the Encyclopaedia Britannica. All of it. Including the Macropedia.

What did I think?
Loved the bits of trivia in the books. Hated the bits about their struggle to have a baby. Thought the author was a bit of a twat. Flagged halfway through the book/alphabet. Decided the author was actually alright. Found out his Dad likes to give fake names to strangers (which I have been known to do.) Was pleased when they got pregnant. Liked the summing up of what he learnt on the last couple pages.

"Llamas & empanadas: 5000 kilometers by bicycle through South America" by Eleanor Meecham.
About a New Zealander who cycles South America almost by accident and by herself for much of the time.
What did I think?
Well, I'm a sucker for a cycle story so this one had everything going for it before I even started. Great writing and a certain amount of self-disclosure ensure that the story doesn't disapoint. I admire people who can do what she did and just get out there with no fixed plan trusting that it will all turn out. A fitting tribute to her brother.

"Magic or madness" by Justin Larbalestier
About a girl who is sent to stay with her grandmother when her Mum has a nervous breakdown. Her mother has warned her about her grandmother all her life so she is understandably nervous about staying with her.
What did I think?
A couple of moments when I wondered how old the characters were - they get served alcohol in a restaurant and go out to a nightclub - and a few character behaviour moments that I didn't quite get but overall an interesting read. It's the first in a series of three.


Haven't been doing anything else because I am still sick. First tonsillitis, then a tummy bug and now a head cold. The Boyfriend had an operation a few days ago so I've had to play nursemaid. And the cat was sick. To be honest, I feel a bit ripped off.

No comments: